Aug 15, 2014

Portable home studio - Now available at your location

Home is where your studio is. And in these modern times of science and technical wonders, that can be anywhere.

A good friend of mine; avid cyclist,  beer enthusiast in principle and a visionary with a low wind resistance, first introduced me to the idea of a transportable mixing studio, while he was lugging around his own rucksack full of electronics. I thank thee my friend.



My portable studio
A functioning mixing studio is really a quite simple construct. Everything you need for it and even some extra stuff is fitted on the left hand picture. That's my baby portable studio. Starting from the left, you can see a laptop charger (to keep my worn out battery alive for more than 40 seconds), usb-cord for the audio interface, cordless mouse (with semiworking buttons), laptop, gold-plated bling-bling adapter for my Philips headphones, Shure studio headphones (notice the sexy leather bag), standard Philips headphones (not necessary, but I like to use them for referencing) and of course a largish bag. That's all there is to it.


Still room for something extra
The whole system fits nicely into my largish bag, which happens to have separate pockets inside, with optimum dimensions for the studio stuff. Even with the extra headphones, the largish bag has room for an emergency whiskey flask, or a six-pack. Or, if I want to transform my mixing studio into a recording studio, I can easily fit a microphone or two in there. Microphone stand would be needed to be carried outside the bag. In which case, the stand can also be used to defend the studio, in case of meeting shady characters with mischievous intentions. 
 

Ready for the road
Here's my baby ready to get on the road. I find that with my challenging timetable, the concept of a portable studio is critical. Even during the daytime, when I would have the opportunity to play with my studio at home, there are usually too many distractions from the normal reality. If I am away from home, I can simply have a better focus on what I'm doing. And for the recording part, it's obvious that the portability opens up so much more opportunities to work with music. No hangovered guitarists soiling the premises or recordings demolished by the loud and constant sound of the neighbors complaining as the soon to be star vocalist screams his/hers lungs out.

Portability can be a beautiful thing, just be careful not to forget your studio in a corner somewhere when the night turns to morning.
 
Please leave a comment, any tips or ideas on portable studios?

No comments:

Post a Comment