Dec 14, 2014

December Mix Fest

Howdy! Busy December kicks off with a couple of CrowdAudio competition mixes. Another work related trip to Germany took some precious mixing hours away from me, but I'm still fairly pleased with the results.

Midnight Mixing Path

The two songs were totally different in genres and both had their unique challenges. Read on and take a listen.




Both of the songs were very different from the songs I have mixed previously. This made the challenge very interesting and in some cases a bit frustrating. First song was Take Up Your Cross by Martha Self. The arrangement was fairly simple with only few instruments. As the piano was clearly the main instument I focused on it's tone a bit more and used the others more in a backing role. The vocals were in the biggest role in this piece and a lot of effort went into it. This was bit of a challenge as the vocal recordings had some issues. Overall I think I tackled the issues pretty well. Take listen below.


Martha Self - Take Up Your Cross


The second song was ROKO's Dummy, and it was more electrical in nature. Lots of synth pads and a very nice challenge. The artist himself allowed a very free approach to the tune and there are many very interesting and skillful mixes to be found at the CrowdAudio site. I hope that you check that out too. It gives a nice perspective on how different the end results can be with different mixers. Just click this LINK and then click the ALL ENTRIES to check them out. I stayed quite true to the original sounds, as I my time was very limited. I just beefed up the drums a bit at the end and applied a few effects. I think I could have done a bit better on the vocal department if I had some more time. But even with improving the vocals I can honestly say that there are many a lot better mixes to be heard at CrowdAudio site. Still an interesting challenge and I enjoyed mixing this one. Take a listen below.


ROKO - Dummy



December is turning out to be the most productive month yet. I'm still aiming to mix songs from the Rate The Mix and Dueling Mixes sites and the new Aatos song. We'll see how it goes. Stay tuned!




Thanks for reading! Drop a comment if You think I can manage this mixing fest :)


No comments:

Post a Comment