Sep 19, 2014

New Stuff - Recording Secrets for the Small Studio

Nothing much happening this week. Superbusy and supertired does not much accomplish. I did however get my hands on a brand new copy of a new book by Mike Senior. Recording Secrets for the Small Studio should get me to the fast track towards recording professional audio. I loved Mikes previous book (check my review here) and I have very high expectations for this one too. I have skimmed a few pages so I'll drop a quick preview for some easy bloggins. 


Mike Senior - Recording Secrets for the Small Studio


The back cover promises are very promising indeed. Lets have a look.


1. Learn the fundamentals...
I have not yet dabbled yet too much with recording and most of my dealings in that area have been DI-based. So fundamentals on mic techniques and recording overall are very welcome indeed. Last time I used two mics to record acoustic guitar, I ran into some phase issues. But that's a story for another time.

2. Explore advanced techniques...
I will just have to see how fundamental the fundamentals are and how advanced the advanced techniques after I have read the book.

3. Find out where you don't need to spend money...
I'll have to be careful with this one. Nothing like the unjustified urge to acquire the latest and the greatest stuff, solely for the reason that it is nice and shiny. Thankfully, I don't have enough liquid assets to indulge my every whim.

4. Make the best use of limited equipment and session time...
Limited equipment and limited session time are basically the corner stones of my midnight mixing project. This one is a big promise for me. Hopefully it comes through.

5. Pick up tips and tricks...
Yay! Nothing like impressing the Home Crew with new tricks.


If the book delivers what back cover promises, this is bound to be (almost) as useful of a book for me, as the Mixing Secrets was. The presentation order seems to follow suit with the organized Mike Senior way too. Book is comprised of four parts; One Source, No Mics – One Source, One Mic – One Source, Multiple Mics – Multiple Sources, Multiple Mic. I believe this hierarchic method is a big factor for me, as it probably syncs nicely with my own brain wiring.


I certainly expect a lot from this book and who knows, maybe I will turn into a professional recording engineer after I turn the last page. Now all I need is performers to record (wink wink nudge nudge).



Please leave a comment, Any experiences with recording?

No comments:

Post a Comment