Oct 24, 2014

New Stuff #2 - Virtual friend for my Doctor

My trusty Dr. Z Maz 18 got a new virtual friend for home recordings. Everything is nice and dandy on the honeymoon period. Just as it should be. We'll just have to see if it can stand the test of time.

Meet the Doctor

If you happen to be looking for a guitar solution for the home studio or if you are just curious, have a look at my Live gear and the not so mysterious virtual friend. Welcome!
 

I have been looking for a new general solution to record guitars (as in emulating a real recorded amplifier) for a while now. I have been quite happy with IK Multimedia's products so I decided to try the Amplitube plugin. I tested the free version and liked it already with the first default setting. Followed by some more tweaking the good feeling grew stronger. I admit it, I'm a sucker for visual candy (even though it shouldn't matter) and the visuals on this one are truly cute as a kitten. The final nail was the fact that Amplitube has a model of the Dr. Z Maz 18 that I use myself. The decision to grab Amplitube was easy (Even though the blonde Maz version was not available).

Here's a little peek at my gear for live gigs and my first look at its virtual replacement.


Live gear

It seems that I have been at least temporarily cured of my chronic GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). The cure was the magic combination of the Visual Sound's Jekyll&Hyde pedal and my lovely blonde Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr. These are really the main components of "my" sound.


J&H - Scarred, Dusty and Awesome
Jekyll&Hyde incorporates two effects in a single box - Overdrive (Jekyll) and Distortion (Hyde). Both have separate controls, but I have found that the pedal seems to suit me well with all knobs pointing towards noon. I think it worked so well with me straight out of the box, that I didn't really need to explore what kind of sounds I can get out of it. Also it's good to point out that my usual tone involves both effects activated. Great pedal!


Dr. Z - Wrinkly Blonde with an Attitude
Dr. Z Maz 18 has proven itself by removing my constant GAS. I haven't had the urge to go shopping for a new amp after my blonde found its way here. Those are LOUD 18 Watts and I have to tame the brightness, but the Zed's teamwork with J&H hits my sweet spot. The little beast weights like a concrete block but that's what they say. Tone weighes.

These two are the main components creating my tone. I have additional pedals on my pedalboard also, but they are mainly for show. And guitars are of course another topic completely. Now all I have to do, is learn to play.



Virtual sound chain

I'm still at that point of mixing skills, that the plugins can use stunning visuals to sell themselves to me. Amplitube is a beautiful looking plugin. It emulates normal gear and the virtual signal chain uses a familiar real world layout; pedals, amp, cabinet and rack effects. Here's the virtual doppelganger of my live gear. Unfortunately the J&H is not available, so I went with the classic OCD-pedal. 


OCD pedal for extra grit

Virtual MAZ 18 jr.
MAZ Cabinet
Extra rack effects for show

Now the settings are not in place, because I have not really had the time to test these things properly. I just had to snap some pictures. As I said this decision was largely based on a gut feeling. I'm a sucker for cool looking plugins. I just had to post this before the honeymoon period is over :)

And in the end, I did not bankrupt myself. The custom shop feature allows me to purchase single modules when I find myself in need. So actually, i just bought the OCD, Dr. Z Amp and cabinet. But, knowing myself, I will probably be emptying the shop pretty soon.



Final Words

Double the Fun!
I know. I should use more brains and ears when acquiring plugins. But I'll say it once more. I'm easy. But let the time show. Maybe my gut hit the jackpot this time? And really, who could resist. Just look at the slightly photoshopped image to the right. My babies.


   

Please leave a comment, Or sell something pretty to me?




No comments:

Post a Comment